Soweto Tour And Lunch
Soweto Tour and Lunch
Visiting South Africa’s most infamous township can be tricky when done alone, so make sure you have a guide when visiting.
This Soweto half-day tour allows you to explore the city with a guide who was born and raised here.
This guided tour of Soweto offers you an intimate look into the culture, history, and vibrancy of one of South Africa’s most interesting urban cities.
You’ll learn what makes this exciting urban center unique, and you’ll be transported to a world of fascinating characters who will give you an inside look of their lives in Soweto.
Our tour gives you the chance to experience the energy of this lively city and learn more about the cultural and historical heritage of the area that shaped the past of South Africa. Your tour guide takes you to historic sites and cultural hot spots to showcase the city’s rich history from the dusty streets of Soweto through to its modern-day culture of this city.
What’s included in the Soweto Tour and Lunch:
- Local English Speaking Guide
- Hotel drop-off & pickup in the Sandton / Rosebank area
- Transport in an air-conditioned minivan
- Admission – Hector Pietersen Museum and Memorial
- Admission – Mandela House
- Lunch at a local eatery serving South African cuisine
What’s not included in the Soweto Tour with Lunch:
Beverages (although water & drinks are available to purchase on board)
What to expect the Soweto Tour and Lunch:
FNB Stadium, Nasrec
On our way to Soweto we pass by the National Football Stadium, which hosted the opening and closing ceremonies of the World Cup 2010. We enter the Diepkloof area, and proceed through Soweto.
We drive past Baragwanath Hospital (the largest hospital in Africa), a taxi rank (an important transport node for the people of Soweto) and the historic suburb of Diepkloof on our way to the heart of Soweto.
Informal Settlement, Soweto
Our first stop is at the informal settlement. You can take a stroll through the sand streets with your guide past local dwellings and a typical informal settlement day care. Learn more about the way of life of the people in the settlement.
Regina Mundi, 1 Mkhize Street, Soweto
We continue on through Orlando West to the hub of Soweto. We stop outside Regina Mundi Church and Freedom Square for a quick overview.
Walter Sisulu Square, Klipspruit Valley Road
The Walter Sisulu Square of Dedication is located in the center of Kliptown, in South Africa.
Hector Pietersen Museum and Memorial
The Hector Pietersen Museum is an iconic museum located in Orlando West, Soweto, South Africa, two blocks away from where Hector Pietersen was shot and killed 16 June 1976.
Vilakazi Street, Soweto
We travel down Vilakazi Street, past the homes of Nelson and Winnie Mandela, and Archbishop Desmond Tutu.
Mandela House, 8115 Orlando West Street, Soweto
We travel down Vilakazi Street, enter the former of Nelson and Winnie Mandela.
Lunch at a Local eatery in Orlando West, Soweto
Enjoy lunch at this famous eatery that makes freshly prepared South African meals instead. A single soft drink is provided with your meal. Any alcoholic beverages are solely for your account. Should you have specific dietary preferences kindly indicate this at the time of booking.
Orlando Towers, Soweto
We travel passed the massive Soweto Towers, which used to provide power to the people of Soweto and is now used for activities including: bungee jumping off the towers. Activity cost is excluded and is for your own account.
Departure and return
- Traveller pickup is offered.
- Please note that pick up times will vary depending on your pick up location.
- Johannesburg Intl Airport, Johannesburg South Africa
- Hotel pickup is offered.
- Return details
- Returns to original departure point
- Booking confirmation will be received at time of booking via email
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult
- The Tour is not recommended for travellers with back / walking problems, heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travellers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travellers