Soweto Day Tour
Soweto Day Tour
Visiting South Africa’s most infamous township can be tricky when done alone, so make sure you have a guide when visiting.
This Soweto Day Tour allows you to explore the city with a guide who was born and raised there in approximately 4 hours.
On this Soweto Half Day Tour, you’ll learn about the culture and history of the community you’ll be exploring, and discover that even if it’s in South Africa’s largest township, its people are still very much a part of this vibrant, modern personality.
Our guided Soweto tours offer you an intimate look at the culture, history, and vibrancy of one of South Africa’s most interesting cities. You’ll meet fascinating characters who give you an inside peek into this exciting urban center.
Our Soweto half day tour gives you an opportunity to experience the energy of this lively city and learn more about the cultural and historical heritage of Soweto, an area that shaped the past of South Africa.
Born and raised in Soweto, your tour guide takes you to historic sites and cultural hotspots to showcase the city’s rich history from the dusty streets of yester year through to its modern-day culture of this city within the City Of Johannesburg that’s known for its bustling market, vibrant cultural hubs, and the struggle to win back our freedom and equality.
What’s included in the Soweto Day Tour:
- English Speaking Local guide
- Hotel drop-off & pickup (in Johannesburg, contact us for Pretoria pick ups)
- Transport in an air-conditioned vehicle / minivan / minibus
- Admission – Hector Pietersen Museum and Memorial
- Admission – Mandela House
- Bottled water available in vehicle
What’s not included in the Soweto Day Tour:
- Food and drinks (available at an additional cost)
Soweto Guided Tours: Soweto Day Tour Itinerary
FNB Stadium, Nasrec, Johannesburg
On our way to Soweto we pass by the National Football Stadium, which hosted the opening and closing ceremonies of the World Cup 2010. We enter the Diepkloof area, and proceed through Soweto.
Baragwanath, Johannesburg South, 2013, South Africa
We drive past Baragwanath Hospital (the largest hospital in Africa), a taxi rank (an important transport node for the people of Soweto) and the historic suburb of Diepkloof on our way to the heart of Soweto.
Walter Sisulu Square
The Walter Sisulu Square of Dedication is located in the center of Kliptown, in South Africa.
Hector Pietersen Museum and Memorial
The Hector Pietersen Museum is an iconic museum located in Orlando West, Soweto, South Africa, two blocks away from where Hector Pietersen was shot and killed 16 June 1976.
Vilakazi Street, Soweto
We travel down Vilakazi Street, past the homes of Nelson and Winnie Mandela, and Archbishop Desmond Tutu.
Mandela House, 8115 Orlando West Street, Soweto
We travel down Vilakazi Street, enter the former of Nelson and Winnie Mandela. Here you’ll be given a tour of The Mandela House by a site guide. Entrance fee is included in the tour.
Additional information on the Soweto Day Tour
- Traveller pickup and return is included from Sandton / Rosebank. For Pretoria please note this is available at an extra cost.
- Airport: Johannesburg Intl Airport, Johannesburg South Africa
- Hotel pickups are available offered in the Johannesburg / Sandton / Rosebank area. Pretoria pick ups and drop offs are available at an extra cost.
- Return details: Returns to original departure point (unless stated in your booking)
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults and is 50% of an adult rate
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult
- The Tour is not recommended for travellers with back / walking problems, heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- This tour/activity is a private tour and we can accommodate a maximum of 20 guests per trip
- This Soweto Day Tour takes approx 4 hours